I am getting quite into writing about what I have learned and reading things elsewhere…so here we go.
If you are experiencing a rough patch in your relationship be proactive and work on it.
These are steps, that in hindsight, I could have taken to turn challenging circumstances into one that would have made us stronger:
1. Make time to talk about your relationship. Avoid talking about the issues, but rather whether or not you feel supported by one another.
2. Tell your partner she matters to you and you want to be happier together. This one is key, it isn’t “Me, Me, Me.” It’s WE.
3. Let them know how you feel when you are disconnected.
4. Avoid criticism, blame, defensiveness or shutting down. Rather share with her the ways in which you are struggling inside.
5. Ask her what they think will help your relationship and share with them your own thoughts.
The most important thing to remember is that your desire to be close to your partner is what will hold you together.
Let them know about it before it’s too late.